Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cook-A-Doodle-Doo

by Janet Stevens and Susan Stevens

Cook-A-Doodle-Doo
had me smiling from beginning to end. It was a delightful story about Big Brown Rooster (who happens to be a descendant of the one and only Little Red Hen) and he is sick of eating chicken feed every single day. He sets out to make a delicious Strawberry Shortcake with the help of some of his friends Turtle, Iguana and Pig.

This was an entertaining story about how each character has a part to play and each has something different to contribute but when you work together you can achieve great things.

I liked how the sidebars of some of the pages contain additional information about baking terms and procedures and the back page of the book contains a recipe for Strawberry Shortcake.



Activity: Strawberry Shortcake

We had to make the recipe for Strawberry Shortcake that was at the back of the book.


I am not going to post the recipe because I want to encourage you to get the book :)


Ingredients needed


A chef in the making



The end result


Yum!

8 comments:

  1. All of these activities are fantastic girl.
    I LOVE it.
    I really want one of those lady bug cookies LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME. So cool. You are completely inspiring, Katie.
    love you!
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this blog is great. Love what you said about you, with the person who wears many hats...you sure do! I like the names you're using for the kids, perfect. Really great book choices too, and fun fun ideas. Lucky children. Also, you've rounded up some great resource blogs on the side bar there, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And let's not forget how cute your kids are. What a smile Hannah has! I might smile like that if I had a slab of delicious cake in front of me, too. The book reminds me of one I got from the library. I can't remember exactly what it was called... "On Top of Spaghetti"? Something about Spaghetti. It was so cute, and had a yummy recipe in it too. Thanks Katie, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great book and works well in a library story hour setting, although the craft we made was fake food-- your real deal is much more inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great blog Katie, full of wonderful ideas and inspiration. Your kids certainly look like they are enjoying themselves in ALL of the activities. Keep posting, I LOVE your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great book! And the strawberry shortcake... yum, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. straw berry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts by milly

    ReplyDelete